httpd-users mailing list archives

From Rainer Traut <rainer.tr...@epost.de>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] max file descriptors over apache2
Date Tue, 24 Aug 2004 11:53:25 GMT
Hi,

Luis Miguel Cruz wrote:
> As I understand there is a little problem when apache is offering mass
> hosting services and the max file descriptors value.
>
> Specially when apache create separated logs files for every vhost.
>
> As I see into my FC1:
>
> # ulimit -a | grep open
> open files                    (-n) 1024
>
> max file descriptors value is 1024, isnĀ“t?
>
> Since apache runs under httpd user and group... Can I modify max file
> descriptors value for that user and his process?
>
> Is here any problem if I change "open files" value to unlimited?

maybe this what you're looking for, this did I post on the fedora ML.

/etc/security/limits.conf is the right place:

[root@asp5 root]# cat /etc/security/limits.conf |grep nofile
#        - nofile - max number of open files
notes           soft    nofile          90000
notes           hard    nofile          90000
[root@asp5 root]# su - notes
[notes@asp5 notes]$ ulimit -a|grep files
open files                    (-n) 90000

Gruss
Rainer