httpd-users mailing list archives

From Ammon Johnson <am...@addept.ws>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] File Permisions?
Date Sat, 14 Aug 2004 20:13:34 GMT
Rich Bowen wrote:

>On Sat, 14 Aug 2004, Ammon Johnson wrote:
>

>>I have set up Apache on a Fedora Core 2 box but for some reason I keep
>>getting a 403 Permission Denied when I attempt to veiw a name based
>>vhost that I have set up...
>>
>>When attempting to view the website I get this...
>>

>>  Forbidden
>>
>>You don't have permission to access / on this server.
>>

>It will be much more useful to see the error message from the error log.
>The message in the browser is for the end user. The message in the error
>log is for you, the site administrator.
>
>However, it's likely that you need a Directory block which permits
>access to your content:
>
><Directory /path/to/document/directory>
>Order allow,deny
>Allow from all
></Directory>

The directory section is included in the vhost section...

I don't know why I didn't think to look at the logs...  Apparently it is
complaining about the .htaccess file not existing.  The documentation
tells that I shouldn't be using .htaccess and I don't want to be using
.htaccess.  It also tells me that I can turn .htaccess off by specifying
"AllowOverride None" in the Directory section, which I have done.  The
site also mentions that RedHat likes to throw in a Files section that
creates all kinds of errors.  I removed that section.  I am just about
ready to find another webserver.  What is wrong here?  I am quite
certain that Apache has access to the files that I am trying to serve.

Any help is appreciated!
~~Ammon ;~>