httpd-users mailing list archives

From basem moussa <bmou...@fusebox.com>
Subject [users@httpd] MSIE noncompliance in a mod_rewritten SSL environment
Date Wed, 04 Aug 2004 15:26:55 GMT
PRELUDE: Yes, I have worked on this for days, scouring FAQs, google and
mailing lists.  I am an experienced apache admin.

THE PROBLEM: I've got a site which Mozilla Firefox sees just fine while
MSIE 6 refuses to load some images.

BEST GUESS SO FAR: MSIE does not handle redirection well after making a
conditional GET upon mod_redirection to SSL version of the site.

EVIDENCE:  The following is abbreviated log output concerning one of the
affected images.  Notice the difference in HTTP codes.  Both start out
the same but upon redirection, my Firefox browsing comes up with success
while MSIE comes up with the 304 "Not Modified" conditional, and pukes
on it only about 15% of the time.  The images do not appear broken, but
rather have a little red X in their stead:

"GET /imgs/topnav_logo.gif HTTP/1.1" 302 318
"https://zoostage.fusebox.com/fcart/index.php?id=7_1_2_1" "Mozilla/5.0
(Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.7) Gecko/20040626 Firefox/0.8"
"GET /imgs/topnav_logo.gif HTTP/1.1" 200 4472 "-" "Mozilla/5.0 (Windows;
U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.7) Gecko/20040626 Firefox/0.8"

"GET /imgs/topnav_logo.gif HTTP/1.1" 302 318
"https://zoostage.fusebox.com/fcart/index.php?id=7_1_2_1" "Mozilla/4.0
(compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows NT 5.1)"
"GET /imgs/topnav_logo.gif HTTP/1.1" 304 -
"https://zoostage.fusebox.com/fcart/index.php?id=7_1_2_1" "Mozilla/4.0
(compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows NT 5.1)"

ENVIRONMENT:  RHES 2.1 (like redhat 7.3), httpd 1.3.27.  along with many
other modules, mod_rewrite and mod_ssl are in effect.  One site covers
both http and https, all depending on the REQUEST_URI.  if it '^/fcart',
I send it to https.  If it '!^/fcart', I send it to http like so:

    RewriteCond %{REQUEST_URI} ^/fcart
    RewriteRule (.*) https://zoostage.fusebox.com$1 [L]

and

    RewriteCond %{REQUEST_URI} !^/fcart
    RewriteRule (.*) http://zoostage.fusebox.com$1 [L]

ALREADY TRIED: I've read about all sorts of MSIE shortcomings over the
years and of course checked out BrowserMatch and SetEnvIf.  I have tried
each of the following (plus every variation you can imagine) with no
improvements.  Furthermore, the 'HTTP/1.1' still appears in the
access_log for MSIE no matter what I try:

BrowserMatch ".*MSIE.*" nokeepalive ssl-unclean-shutdown downgrade-1.0
force-response-1.0
SetEnvIf User-Agent ".*MSIE.*" nokeepalive ssl-unclean-shutdown
downgrade-1.0 force-response-1.0

QUESTION: How can I verify that my BrowserMatch directives are working?
And of course, how the hell can I fix this!

Any help is appreciated.

Many regards,

basem