httpd-users mailing list archives

From "Mario Stipcevic" <stipc...@irb.hr>
Subject [users@httpd] How to spawn a job from a CGI 2nd
Date Sat, 07 Aug 2004 10:47:56 GMT

Dear all,

I am sorry for posting this question again - i Know somebody has answered
it but the trashy "enzim" would not let me to read the answer (no help
from the list authorities as well). Would please someone send me the
answer also directly to my e-mail Mario.Stipcevic@irb.hr.

Here is the original question:

I have stuck with a problem that only occurs in Win2000NT (and perhaps
Xp). I am using apache 1.3.6 . I am trying to execute from within a
cgi-bin a job that will continue to execute in background. I know of a
strange trick: system("myjob < /dev/null > out_file 2>&1 &");
it does the job under Linux, Win98 and WinMe, BUT it does not under
Win2000. I have a feeling (not sure) that this thing worked long time ago.
But I am constantly updating Win2000 using the Windows Update feature.
Perhaps this procedure finally created a problem (?)

Could someone please help ? Is there a way to start a program in bckgnd
from within a cgi under Win2000 ?

 Thanks !

dr. Mario Stipcevic
Experimental physics division