httpd-users mailing list archives

From Joe Orton <jor...@redhat.com>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] max file descriptors over apache2
Date Tue, 24 Aug 2004 13:22:39 GMT
On Tue, Aug 24, 2004 at 11:43:15AM +0200, Luis Miguel Cruz wrote:
> Specially when apache create separated logs files for every vhost.
>
> As I see into my FC1:
>
> # ulimit -a | grep open
> open files                    (-n) 1024
>
> max file descriptors value is 1024, isnĀ“t?

If you're using the Fedora Core httpd package, add something like
"ulimit -n 4096" to /etc/sysconfig/httpd.  Otherwise, adding the same to
bin/envvars within the install root should have the same effect.

> Since apache runs under httpd user and group... Can I modify max file
> descriptors value for that user and his process?
>
> Is here any problem if I change "open files" value to unlimited?

I don't think you can set it to unlimited, only some high value.  You
can suffer problems in modules like mod_ssl and PHP, if they get fd
numbers which are greater than 1024 (due to use of the select() system
call); test things out carefully.

Regards,

joe