httpd-users mailing list archives

From "Jeroen van Meeuwen" <kana...@pczone-clan.nl>
Subject RE: [users@httpd] problem displaying website.
Date Tue, 24 Aug 2004 11:09:17 GMT

  _____

From: Zoe Ballz [mailto:zoe@zoeballz.tv]
Sent: dinsdag 24 augustus 2004 10:51
To: users@httpd.apache.org
Subject: Re: [users@httpd] problem displaying website.

Hiya

>From the outside world, your site has an IP. This is the IP of your ROUTER
and not the server itself, but your router passes the requests through to
your server, thus the server appears to work ok.

>From inside your network, DNS will give other machines the SAME IP and point
people to your router. Your router probably doesn't know what to do with the
requests and ignores them. From an internal network the IP of your server
will be different to the outside world.

Try setting up a HOSTS file on each machine on your network. You should find
details on how to do this in the documentation of the operating systems on
the other machines. e.g. on windows 98 you edit a file called HOSTS in the
windows directory, and put in an entry like the following:

123.123.123.123 www.mydomain.com
123.123.123.123 www.myotherdomain.co.uk

where 123.123 etc is the LOCAL IP of your server.

This will cause the machine in questions to bypass the DNS lookup for the
domain, and override it, sending the request to the IP you specify (i.e.
your local IP of your server)

I hope this helps

All the best

Zoe