httpd-users mailing list archives

From Jim Maul <jm...@elih.org>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] weird problem serving .DOC files from apache2
Date Sat, 14 Aug 2004 18:06:53 GMT
Quoting Zoe Ballz <zoe@zoeballz.tv>:

> Hi there
>
> I have been following this one. I have a suggestion. Have you tried
> saving the document from word "as html" and then putting it on the
> site? Then the apache server wont be serving a .doc file but an html
> - then maybe there wont be any confusion. Is there a particular
> reason your NEED it to be a .doc file? I realise this does solve the
> problem but it might avoid it.

Thanks for the reply.  I have tried this, as i didnt initially want the
reliance
of  having word installed on the clients machine.  However this is a corporate
environment and pretty much all the machines already have word.  However, when
i tried this out, i realized that the "save as html" option in word
doesnt just
create a .html file.  It also creates a separate directory where it stores a
horrible amount of include files which the .html file references.  I dont want
to have all sorts of directories laying around just to serve a file.
It led to
an administration nightmare for myself and the others in the dept.
What we have
done for a couple files (which seems to work best..atleast for now) is
just save
as straight .txt.  It isnt pretty, but it works.  Ideally i'd like to get
everyone (the users) to convert these documents to pdf and then just serve up
those.  Would be so much easier in the end...

Jim