httpd-users mailing list archives

From wolfgang12...@yahoo.co.jp
Subject [users@httpd] What's the difference between mod_cache and the reverse proxy ?
Date Wed, 04 Aug 2004 19:47:19 GMT
Hi all.

As I wrote in the subject, I wanna know the difference between them.

Here is my scenario.
There're a hundreds of servers(Apache + Tomcat) in a load-balanced
environment, and those servers access to a single database.
Thus, they can serve static files to a bunch of clients at once,
but once many clients send a request which needs a SQL query,it's
gonna cause a huge performance problem.

That's why I've been searching any ways that minimize the performance problem,
and finally found two choices that are mod_cache or the reverse proxy (mod_proxy?).

By using the mod_cache, I gotta install it to apache on all servers.
On the other hand, using the reverse proxy server, I can just place a couple of
them in front of the load balancer.

I first thought the formar way is kinda trouble some since I gotta install mod_cache
in all servers. But now it seems easy to maintainance. The latter way seems hard to
maintainance.
hm...I still don't know which way is better for performance and maintainance.

can anybody give me a help, a tip or a joke ? oops...i don't need a joke...

Thanks in advance.

wolfgang