httpd-users mailing list archives

From Philip Collins <Philip.Coll...@unh.edu>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] unable to POST with mod_include
Date Mon, 23 Aug 2004 14:55:31 GMT
On Fri, 2004-08-20 at 12:12, Joshua Slive wrote:
> On Fri, 20 Aug 2004 11:28:13 -0400, Philip Collins
> <philip.collins@unh.edu> wrote:
> > I am getting the "The requested method POST is not allowed for the URL"
> > when I try to post to a shtml file which includes some dynamic CGI
> > forms. I tried specifying the limit directive explicitly allowing GET
> > POST, to no avail. I did some web searches, and the only solution (that
> > is not really a solution) was to change the action of my forms to the
> > script the form is intended for. This is not what I really want. For
> > example, I have a web site with menus, search form, and footer - all are
> > constructed from separate html files - all included in one shtml file.
> > The web page loads correctly, then when I click the submit button with
> > some search terms, the form does a POST (GET is not an option), and I
> > get the error message. mod_include must have some way to do this. If
> > not, why not?
>
> A POST sends data to the script on stdin.  SSI pages have no way to read stdin.
>
> Perhaps what you want is for one of the cgi scripts that you call from
> the SSI page to get the input on stdin.  But how is apache supposed to
> know which one?
>
> In other words, POST is not supported for SSI pages for good reason.
> Perhaps if you explained why you can't use GET we could provide some
> other options.

I understand what you are saying, but how else are you supposed to embed
self submitting POST forms in shtml pages? A self submitting form will
submit the form to the current uri. That way the header, menus, body,
and footer all appear after the form is submitted. GET forms have to
many limitations for many of the pages I work on. Static files should
ignore form input, and if there is more then one CGI script on a page,
then all scripts should have access to the form inputs. This is how
Apache::SSI works. Should there not be an option for mod_include to
allow this? How do other people approach this problem? I am trying to
offload all structure, and presentation to our HTML coders, and program
all the logic using perl scripts. The HTML forms are constructed by the
HTML coders with the help of the HTML::Template module.

Thanks,

Phil

> Joshua.

University Of New Hampshire