httpd-users mailing list archives

From Roger Peña Escobio <ro...@infomed.sld.cu>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] problems with PATH_TRANSLATED and index pages inside PATH_INFO directory
Date Fri, 20 Aug 2004 13:35:40 GMT
thank you very much for your quick anwser
i appreciate it a lot

> The change is due to the difference in how mod_dir is implemented
> between 2.0 and 1.3 (in 1.3, mod_dir ran only as a handler; in 2.0, it
> runs during the fixup phase of request processing: when PATH_TRANSLATED
> is calculated, fixups are run but handlers are not).
>
> Indeed, by the wording of PATH_TRANSLATED, one could argue that the
> "virtual-to-physical mapping" done here by Apache is happening as
> expected.  When you request /conf/ normally, the virtual-to-physical
> mapping which occurs maps /conf/ onto /conf/index.html.

so, do you think that this is not something that is wrong? do you think that apache
developers are happy with this behaivor so they will not change it back?

> It's hard to see how to change this behaviour back without making
> mod_dir into a handler again.

so i have to live with that and keep it in mind when developed CGI ?

i have to make an important decision about it, we have a lot of applications that use a
CGI that use very hard the PATH_TRANSLATED variable, the CGI is close so i can't modify
it (i ask for it to the developers), the decision that i have to make is: should we
migrate our web servers to RHEL-3 or keep it with some distribution that use apache-1.3 ?
that do you recomend to me?

thanks again for your messages
i'm sorry about the "bug" that i open in redhat bugzilla because it looks that it not a
bug

roger
Nodo central de la red Infomed                 (http://www.sld.cu)
Usuario linux: 97152                           (http://counter.li.org)
Miembro del grupo de coordinacion de LinuxCuba (http://www.linux.cu)

"Whatever you do will be insignificant, but it is very important
 that you do it."
                       Gandhi