httpd-users mailing list archives

From "Robert Andersson" <rob...@profundis.nu>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] Urgent: Server reached MaxClicnts Setting
Date Thu, 26 Aug 2004 13:06:56 GMT
K Dey wrote:
> Almost everyday I am facing "Server reached MaxClients Settings,
> consider  raising the MaxClients setting.." error message from my
> Apache 2.0.
>
> Previously I changed the Max Client to 256 and MaxKeepAliveRequest 500.
>
> And once the the server gets this Exception, it becomes very very slow for
> couple of hours.

You cannot only raise the MaxClients setting; you must also make sure your
machine is capable of handling the increased load. It becomes crawling slow
because it handles too many clients and runs out of memory and starts
swapping.

The simplest recommendation is: get more RAM! You should also try to
descrease the size of httpd by disabling unnecessary modules etc.

Anyway, you need to calculate how many clients your machine can handle at
any one time. The formula is roughly <total_mem> /
<size_of_each_httpd_process>. If you post your system specs and how much
each httpd process consumes, I'm sure someone will help you calculate
optimal settings; I'm unfortunately not very good at that.

Regards,
Robert Andersson