httpd-users mailing list archives

From "Zoe Ballz" <...@zoeballz.tv>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] problem displaying website.
Date Wed, 25 Aug 2004 00:04:18 GMT
Its not the routers configuration (probably) - its the routers capability. Most cheaper routers
cannot handle the equivalent of a hosts file themselves. Only the top end routers (as far
as I am aware) can do that kind of thing. If the hosts file works, then your problem is exactly
what I said. If a router can route external port 80 to an internal port 80, most cannot route
an internal port 80 to another internal port. If your router cannot do this and it is not
practical for you to update the hosts files on each machine, then I would suggest you look
into getting a DNS proxy server that you can set dns overrides to run inside your network.
I know there is software capable of what you require, but I have not used it myself so cannot
recommend one.

If you are using windows on the other machines - isn't there a way to synchronise files between
machines so you only need to edit 1 and the other follow suit? (actually - if someone knows
how to do this please let me know anyway =-) )

Good luck

Zoe

http://zoeballz.net - Website Hosting for the Transgendered Community
  ----- Original Message -----
  From: mbastreak
  To: zoe@zoeballz.tv
  Cc: users@httpd.apache.org
  Sent: Wednesday, August 25, 2004 12:51 AM
  Subject: RE: [users@httpd] problem displaying website.

  Sure the hosts file works great, but there is still a problem with having to update hosts
files every time something changes. I have the same setup at home, except for a different
router and it works great. Which leads me to believe that something in how the router's is
configured that is making it not allow the local computers to access the website like normal.

  See, I can do an nslookup on the domain name and get the correct Outside IP address, but
if I try to go to the website by the convetional way it dies. Another thing is the router
has a built in configuration website, that resides on port 8100 on both the outside world,
and the inside world and it works fine by going to the ip address of the router and port 8100
so there has to be something to do with the firewall and the router's configuration.