httpd-users mailing list archives

From "Zoe Ballz" <...@zoeballz.tv>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] problem displaying website.
Date Tue, 24 Aug 2004 08:50:55 GMT
Hiya

>From the outside world, your site has an IP. This is the IP of your ROUTER and not the
server itself, but your router passes the requests through to your server, thus the server
appears to work ok.

>From inside your network, DNS will give other machines the SAME IP and point people to
your router. Your router probably doesn't know what to do with the requests and ignores them.
From an internal network the IP of your server will be different to the outside world.

Try setting up a HOSTS file on each machine on your network. You should find details on how
to do this in the documentation of the operating systems on the other machines. e.g. on windows
98 you edit a file called HOSTS in the windows directory, and put in an entry like the following:

123.123.123.123 www.mydomain.com
123.123.123.123 www.myotherdomain.co.uk

where 123.123 etc is the LOCAL IP of your server.

This will cause the machine in questions to bypass the DNS lookup for the domain, and override
it, sending the request to the IP you specify (i.e. your local IP of your server)

I hope this helps

All the best

Zoe

http://zoeballz.net - Website Hosting for the Transgendered Community