httpd-users mailing list archives

From "Zoe Ballz" <...@zoeballz.tv>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] Huge requests in Apache logfiles
Date Sun, 08 Aug 2004 10:13:41 GMT
Hiya

Its viruses looking for vulnerabilities in IIS servers (attempting to make
them buffer overflow). I cant remember which viruses offhand.

Apache is not vulnerable to these so dont worry about it. Theres not much we
can do to stop it appart from tell everyone to get a decent antivirus.

All the best

Zoe

http://zoeballz.net - Website Hosting for the Transgendered Community

----- Original Message -----
From: Siberion
To: users@httpd.apache.org
Sent: Sunday, August 08, 2004 11:55 AM
Subject: [users@httpd] Huge requests in Apache logfiles

Hello,

Since updating my apache server to 2.0.50, I have noticed
particularly large 'SEARCH' requests that are made up solely
from escape sequences (sometimes characters out of the
printable range, mostly printables) from various IPs. I
haven't verified it exactly, but from looking over the logs
quickly, the requests seem to be all of the same length and
of same content.

My question is: is this (likely to be) a bug with apache
that handles some requests incorrectly, is it likely to be
somebody trying a DoS attack on my server, or could it be a
virus/worm that triggers a security exploit in some servers
through this request?

I'd be grateful if anybody has advice on how to stop this,
but I'd already be happy with an answer to the above question.

Thanks in advance