httpd-users mailing list archives

From Bill Guion <bgu...@sgt-inc.com>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] Access Question
Date Mon, 26 Jul 2004 15:01:13 GMT
At 10:38 AM -0400 on [m-d-y] 7/26/04, Joshua Slive wrote with subject
"Re: [users@httpd] Access Question":
>On Mon, 26 Jul 2004 10:07:15 -0400, Bill Guion <bguion@sgt-inc.com> wrote:
>>  Before I try to figure out how to do this, I'd like to at least know
>>  it can be done.
>
>Anything can be done.  It's just a matter of complexity.
>
>>  Our company has a web site for employees. As implemented, all
>>  employees can access the first page (with a user id and password) and
>>  some of the links on the first page, and certain employees can open
>>  the other links on that page. What I would like to do is have two web
>>  pages: www.intranet1.com and www.intranet2.com (names I made up for
>>  this example). I would like for all employees to open
>>  www.intranet.com, enter their user id and password, and be redirected
>>  to either intranet1 or intranet2 depending on the user id and
>>  password presented. Is this reasonably possible?
>
>How are you doing the authentication?  Is it HTTP basic auth?  Cookie
>based sessions through php?  Something else?

Right now we use .htaccess, with one .htaccess file for the first
page (all users log in through that) and other .htaccess files for
the linked pages that have limited access. All of this runs on the
same server.

intranet directory
   home page (all users log in through .htaccess)
     linked page 1 (all users access)
     linked page n (all users access)
     linked page x (limited to group x, must log in through .htaccess)
     linked page y (limited to group y, must log in through .htaccess)
     linked page z (limited to group z, must log in through .htaccess)

What I would proposed to do is have (in this example) four versions
of the home page. Version 1 would have just those links available to
everyone. Version x would have the links available to everyone, plus
those links available to group x. Version y would have the links
available to everyone, plus those links available to group y. Version
z would have the links available to everyone, plus those links
available to group z. The goal, as Joshua surmised, would be to
require only one login to get to the set of web pages you are
entitled to see.

>In general, the authentication and redirect is not hard.  The hard
>part may be to carry the session through to the other server so that
>your users don't need to login a second time.
>
>Joshua.

Bill Guion, Chief Systems Engineer     SGT, Inc.
Telephone:   (301) 486-3141            7701 Greenbelt Road
Fax:         (301) 614-8601            Suite 400
email: wguion@sgt-inc.com              Greenbelt, Maryland 20770

All generalizations are false.