httpd-users mailing list archives

From Joshua Slive <jsl...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] small binary - more LoadModules or?
Date Thu, 29 Jul 2004 21:04:06 GMT
On Thu, 29 Jul 2004 10:50:17 -0700, Erin O'Neill <eon@stanford.edu> wrote:
> Is it better (ie. performance, stability) to have a small Apache 2 binary (
> with just core.c, prefork.c, http_core.c, mod_so.c) and load the modules
> you need. Or should certain modules be built in (like mod_ssl or mod_cgi or
> mod_auth???). and if so which modules should be built in and which loaded??

For exactly the same set of modules, there will be almost no
difference between statically and dynamically compiled apache.  They
will both use the same amount of memory.

If anything, however, the dynamically loaded version will be slower.
On some systems there is a very small overhead to calling functions
not included in the binary.  But you almost surely won't notice.  (You
can also decrease memory usage very slightly by chaninge the
DYNAMIC_MODULE_LIMIT to zero when compiling apache, if I remember
correctly.

Joshua.