httpd-users mailing list archives

From Joshua Slive <jsl...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] more output than send by the script?
Date Mon, 26 Jul 2004 21:01:15 GMT
On Mon, 26 Jul 2004 22:43:05 +0200, Marten Lehmann <lehmann@cnm.de> wrote:

> However, what apache sends is the following:
>
> HTTP/1.1 200 OK
> Date: Mon, 26 Jul 2004 20:33:01 GMT
> Server: Apache/1.3.29 (Unix) mod_perl/1.28 mod_ssl/2.8.16 OpenSSL/0.9.6b
> PHP/4.3.4
> Transfer-Encoding: chunked
>
> 1e
> domain: test.de
> status: taken
>
> 0
>
> 1e obviously is the count of bytes for the two lines my script sends.
> While it might be nice to know the total bytes of a long download
> upfront sometimes, in my case it's just interfering. How can I change
> this behavior? I guess I have to send a certain header from the
> client-side. Is there also a way from the Apache side?

Notice the "Transfer-Encoding: chunked" line.  Apache is sending
chunked transfer encoding because it doesn't know the length in
advance.

If you client can't deal with this, then it isn't an HTTP/1.1 client,
and it should therefore be sending HTTP/1.0 requests, not HTTP/1.1
requests.  That, in turn, should prevent apache from chunking.

Alternatively, you could try
SetEnv downgrade-1.0
in httpd.conf.  See:
http://httpd.apache.org/docs/env.html#special