httpd-users mailing list archives

From Joshua Slive <jsl...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] Optimizing Virtual host(s) configuration on apache 1.3.31
Date Thu, 15 Jul 2004 14:02:50 GMT
On Thu, 15 Jul 2004 16:52:14 +0300, Kai Hendry <hendry@cs.helsinki.fi> wrote:
> Can I configure apache to automagically look in
> /web/subdomain.mydomain.org for a vhost on the ip of my server?

I think you are looking for mod_vhost_alias. See:
http://httpd.apache.org/docs-2.0/mod/mod_vhost_alias.html

> What is the point of NameVirtualHost? I still have to put in the IP, as
> thanks to:
> http://httpd.apache.org/docs/dns-caveats.html

In the normal case, you can make this even simpler by using *:80 as
the argument to the NameVirtualHost and VirtualHost directives.  See:
http://httpd.apache.org/docs-2.0/vhosts/name-based.html#using

The point of NameVirtualHost is to allow you to deal with more complex
cases where some IP addresses are doing IP-virtual hosting and some
are doing name-virtual hosting.

Joshua.