httpd-users mailing list archives

From Joshua Slive <jsl...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] retreiving a document on another server
Date Wed, 07 Jul 2004 17:11:10 GMT
On Wed, 07 Jul 2004 12:03:30 -0400, Wagner, Aaron
<aaron.wagner@bankofamerica.com> wrote:

> I need to access .doc on a remote server and the service ID that Apache2 uses has access
to the shares.  Can I get the server to retrieve the file and serve it as a word doc the the
end users?

> I've tried:
> ProxyPass /mirror/foo \\crprchfnp05\e2e monitoring east\Midrange Operations\MIDOPS\something.doc
>
> and this:
> Alias /mirror/foo \\crprchfnp05\e2e monitoring east\Midrange Operations\MIDOPS\something.doc
>
> both server are W2k, thus i need the back slashes.
>
> I need the server to proxy pass the file because only the server id has access to the
share.

No, you don't need a proxy.  A proxy is for when the document needs to
be fetched by http (or ftp).  In this case, you are fetching the
document from a (network) filesystem, so the Alias directive is the
one you want.

I see a couple issues:

1. You haven't told us at all what happened when you tried the alias.
What did you see in the browser?  What did you see in the apache error
log?

2. If a pathname has spaces, it needs to be surrounded by double quotes.

3. I'm not a win32-apache expert, but I believe you should be using
forward-slashes for everything.  In general, you should always use
forward slashes in the apache config files, even in win32.

Joshua.