httpd-users mailing list archives

From Joshua Slive <jsl...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] Apache2 ProxyPassReverse inside Location
Date Tue, 06 Jul 2004 19:56:28 GMT
On Tue, 6 Jul 2004 20:47:33 +0100 (BST), Nick Kew <nick@webthing.com> wrote:
> On Tue, 6 Jul 2004, Muntz, James M wrote:
>
> > Joshua,
> > I greatly appreciate your suggestions.  Unfortunately, the syntax you
> > suggested won't work in my case.  I have several internal servers that send
> > back a Location header that doesn't include the fully-qualified domain name.
> > E.g., "Location:  /directory/filename".
>
> That is illegal according to RFC2616 (the HTTP spec).
>
> How to deal with it is also specifically discussed in my article at
> http://www.apacheweek.com/features/reverseproxies

I think that is the configuration that he was using.  I haven't tried
it myself, but I don't see how it can work.  If the Location header
doesn't have an absolute URL, then there is no way for apache to
determine which origin server it came from.  Hence the problem
reported here where only the last "ProxyPass /" has any effect.

Of course, Nick, you know more about this stuff than me, so perhaps
you can correct me.

Joshua.