httpd-users mailing list archives

From Joshua Slive <jsl...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] restarting apache
Date Tue, 06 Jul 2004 18:59:52 GMT
On Wed, 7 Jul 2004 02:49:34 +0800, List <list@nchost.net> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Whenever i restart apache, it will take 10mins to restart, and another
> 10mins after restart to be able to connect to the url to browse.. This is
> normal? I am using Redhat 9 and apache 2.0.40. The machine is a P4 2.8GB
> with 1GB of ram.

First, that's quite an old version of apache.  You should consider upgrading.

Some other things to look at:

1. Are you sure you aren't depending on some slow DNS lookups.  See:
http://httpd.apache.org/docs-2.0/dns-caveats.html

2. Are you running SSL?  Is apache freezing waiting for enough entropy?

3. Is there anything interesting in the apache error_log?

4. Have you tried a graceful restart?

Joshua.