httpd-users mailing list archives

From Joshua Slive <jsl...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] Clean shutdown of httpd
Date Tue, 06 Jul 2004 18:49:34 GMT
On Tue, 06 Jul 2004 09:09:34 -0400, cnelson@nycap.rr.com
<cnelson@nycap.rr.com> wrote:
> When I shut down httpd, any browsers pointed at it remain frozen on the last page they
displayed.  Is there any way to get httpd to server out an "I'm going away" page so that the
user gets a nice notification that something happened instead of the browser just seeming
to go kerflewy?

Instead of shutting down httpd, gracefully restart it with a new
config file that has
AliasMatch .* /full/path/to/gone-for-now.html
where gone-for-now contains whatever message you want.

You can do that cleanly by putting it inside an <IfDefine> and using a
-D command line argument to apache.

Joshua.