httpd-users mailing list archives

From Joshua Slive <jsl...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] DAV According to Filesystem Permissions
Date Mon, 05 Jul 2004 13:57:12 GMT
On Sun, 4 Jul 2004 20:22:09 -0700, ms419@freezone.co.uk
<ms419@freezone.co.uk> wrote:
> I setup DAV and authentication. I authenticate against the same
> directory used for login. Now, I would like authenticated users' read /
> write access to correspond to their filesystem permissions. I can't
> figure out how to accomplish this.
>
> Currently, though users successfully authenticate, their read / write
> access are all based on the user / group running Apache (www-data).

This can't be done (in any reasonable way).

The mod_dav repository is private to mod_dav.  You shouldn't be trying
to interact with it from login accounts.  This is both because of the
ownership issue, and because locking will be completely wrecked if you
bypass mod_dav.

The ownership issue is a basic issue with unix security.  Since Apache
has long-lived processes and does not run as root, there is no way for
it to switch permissions based on the request.

Joshua.