httpd-users mailing list archives

From Nick Kew <n...@webthing.com>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] Testing Apache after a Successful Compile
Date Sun, 25 Jul 2004 09:14:14 GMT
On Sat, 24 Jul 2004, InHisGrip wrote:

> 1. Downloaded the httpd-2.0.50.tar.gz at the
> apache.org site.

Good.

> 2. Moved the tarball into a convenient location,
> /usr/local/src

That's unconventional, but harmless.

> 3. Issued the following commands from /usr/local/src:

You missed the important security step: verify the PGP signature on it.

> # tar -vzxf httpd-2.0.50.tar.gz
> # cd httpd-2.0.50
> # ./configure --prefix=/usr/local/apache
> # make
> # make install

That's fine for what you're doing, but to have a useful webserver you
would of course want to customise it a bit more:-)

> no errors displayed.... so I proceed below:
> # /usr/local/apache/bin/apachectl start

Should be fine provided you don't already have another httpd running.

> # cd /usr/local/src/httpd-2.0.50

You were already there!

> # cp httpd /etc/init.d

No, you didn't want to do that.  That was the apache binary.
/etc/init.d wants startup scripts.  I'd suggest you just forget
about putting anything in there.

> # service httpd restart

Ugh.

> # reboot

That's windoze-think.  You never need to reboot *X just because you
installed a new application.

> #!/bin/bash
>
> /usr/local/apache/bin/apachectl start

That line somewhere in the startup is appropriate.  I just keep it
in /etc/rc.d/rc.local

> Do you guys have any idea what I may have missed out?
> I am totally lost here. Nowhere to go from here on.

Your problem is that you've probably got some RPM junk still there.
And since you copied something to /etc/init.d, it's now mixed up
with your shiny new install.  Hunt down all the rpm stuff and
purge it.

--
Nick Kew