httpd-users mailing list archives

From Nick Kew <n...@webthing.com>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] rewrite url on the fly
Date Thu, 15 Jul 2004 14:51:50 GMT
On Thu, 15 Jul 2004, Joshua Slive wrote:

> Although I agree in general with the last two responses, note that
> there is a module called mod_proxy_html that does on-the-fly rewriting
> of html.  I'm not sure if it can be used in a non-proxy situation.
> Nick?

Well, it's purely a filter, and doesn't care where the HTML is coming
from, so it's not limited to a proxy.  I just didn't see it being of
any use outside a proxy situation.

OTOH since the release of Version 2 last week, the webpage says:

   With these new features, mod_proxy_html might find applications
   outside a proxy context. But reverse-proxying remains its
   primary purpose.

I haven't explored such applications, but I'm imagining for example
that with regexp-based rewriting of javascript, it might serve to
protect an open wiki-style site against insertion of malicious
script by rendering it harmless.  Anyone who has done that with
mod_security could probably translate their rulesets, and
mod_proxy_html should be a much lower performance hit in that
particular task.

--
Nick Kew