httpd-users mailing list archives

From "Boyle Owen" <Owen.Bo...@swx.com>
Subject RE: [users@httpd] Looking for .conf files
Date Tue, 20 Jul 2004 09:32:24 GMT

You need a bit of a unix tutorial... If you want to run a program (eg,
httpd) you have to have it on your PATH or you have to give the full or
relative path to it.

Where is "httpd"? Let's guess at "/usr/sbin/httpd". Then you need to do:

# /usr/sbin/httpd -f /etc/apache2/httpd.conf (full path)

or

# cd /usr/sbin
# ./httpd -f /etc/apache2/httpd.conf (relative path - nb, the "./" is
important, it means "in the current directory").

> When I start apache with that -f flag, it doesn't change
> anything. I have to
> find the .conf-file where I can insert the "UserDir" directive. Is it
> httpd.conf or mod_userdir.conf?

Either. It's up to you.

But you really only need one config file. It just confuses matters to
split it up into lots of little files which you then have to remember to
include. My advice would be to put all directives in httpd.conf. If you
pull in directives from an included file, put them at same place as the
"Include" you just removed.

Rgds,
Owen Boyle

> I know this question must
> sound silly to you,
> but I am really new to all this...

> Laurent
>
> --
> Linux is like an Indian tent: no Windows, no Gates, and an
> Apache inside!

Groupe SWX.

views of the sender's company.