httpd-users mailing list archives

From "Boyle Owen" <Owen.Bo...@swx.com>
Subject RE: [users@httpd] Clean shutdown of httpd
Date Tue, 06 Jul 2004 16:08:56 GMT

Read up a bit on how the web works:

http://www.garshol.priv.no/download/text/http-tut.html

Basically, your browser is not "frozen" - it's not like a TV set that
was tuned to the website, it's more like a newspaper you had delivered
to your house. A newspaper on your kitchen table doesn't vanish if the
newspaper firm closes down, does it?

The server can only send pages to browsers which *request* them - it is
a "pull" mechanism. There is no way for the server to "push" pages to
anyone.

What went kerflewey, BTW? Did you actually get an error? Also, all this
assumes plain old HTTP - if you're streaming content or have a java
applet then things are a bit more complicated...

Rgds,
Owen Boyle

Groupe SWX.

views of the sender's company.