httpd-users mailing list archives

From "Boyle Owen" <Owen.Bo...@swx.com>
Subject RE: [users@httpd] Unable to relative link outside root directory
Date Thu, 29 Jul 2004 12:46:58 GMT

(http://httpd.apache.org/
>docs/env.html#examples)
>
>This just prevents hot-linking. What I'm concerned is leeching.

Please define both terms and what you think is the difference...

>What I want to prevent is from people from accessing the image
directly,
>even thru my own website:
>
>i.e. when url = http://www.example.com/image/1.jpeg, apache will return
an
>error.

If you implement the method described by Eimantas this is what will
happen - did you try it?

>The only way the user can see the image is when thru the webpage
>whereby the image is embeded in.
>
>*I can still see & save the image by entering the url directly
>http://www.example.com/image/1.jpeg.

If you still see it then you must not have implemented the method
correctly. The server will refuse to deliver the content to clients
which do not present the correct Referer header in the request.

Conversely, if the client presents a valid Referer, your server *must*
deliver it. You can't simultaneously allow and deny access...

Rgds,
Owen Boyle

yc

Take a break! Find destinations on MSN Travel.
http://www.msn.com.sg/travel/

Groupe SWX.

views of the sender's company.