httpd-users mailing list archives

From "Boyle Owen" <Owen.Bo...@swx.com>
Subject RE: [users@httpd] Apache stops responding frequently
Date Fri, 16 Jul 2004 10:24:33 GMT

Always cut'n'paste error and log messages rather than paraphrase them.
That way you don't filter out important information.

> This is happening regularly. I am not sure what are the other details
> regarding my installation that I should provide to you. I
> shall be obliged
> if you kindly ask for any details that might be useful to you all.
>
> Observation of the log file also reveals an interesting fact,
> though I am
> not sure if this is related. Some time the httpd error log
> shows that some
> client tried to access a file /var/www/html/dir1/favicon.ico

Don't worry about this. favicon.ico is a small graphics file for
browsers to put in the bookmarks menu if someone bookmarks your site -
google favicon.ico for more details.

> and that file
> is not existing. We have thoroughly searched all the PHP and
> other web pages
> being served by the server and no reference to the file favicon.ico is
> there. After a few hours of this error, the httpd service
> stops responding
> as detailed above.
>
> Please help me with some pointer as to how I should try and remedy the
> problem. I am not an experienced user.

You need to understand why apache is stopping. Cross-reference the error
log and access log at the time of a stop to see what request is causing
the stop. Then test the request to see if you can reproduce the stop. If
you don't figure it out from that, post the *exact* error and access log
messages.

<wild guess>
You recompiled apache recently but didn't recompile a module. You're
still dynamically loading this module and it's causing a seg fault..
</wild guess>

Rgds,
Owen Boyle

> Goutam