httpd-users mailing list archives

From Nigel Gilbert <n.gilb...@soc.surrey.ac.uk>
Subject [users@httpd] .htaccess 'allow from' and directories
Date Sun, 18 Jul 2004 11:00:39 GMT
I have an .htaccess file at the top level which allows users in from
specified IP addresses.  The allow commands are within a <Files>
directive in the .htaccess file.  There is also a <Files> directive
which allows all users access to index.html.   e.g.:

<Files *>
Order Allow,Deny
Allow from 206.40
</Files>
<Files index.html>
Allow from all
</Files>

The result is that, as expected, all users are allowed to access the
location http://my.domain.com/index.html if they specify this address
explicitly.  However, if they try to access the location
http://my.domain.com/  (no explicit index.html) and are not on the
allowed IP list, their access is denied.  I would like the behaviour to
be exactly the same as if they had specified index.html in their URL.

How can I achieve this?  I do not have permissions to change the
httpd.conf file, so any solution needs to be workable using only the
.htaccess context (this excludes using <Directory > directive, as far
as I can see from the documentation).

Thanks for your help!

Nigel Gilbert

Professor Nigel Gilbert,  Editor, Journal of Artificial Societies and
      Social Simulation, <http://www.soc.surrey.ac.uk/JASSS/>
         Centre for Research on Social Simulation (CRESS)
    Department of Sociology, University of Surrey, Guildford, UK.
        Tel:+44 1483 689173   N.Gilbert@soc.surrey.ac.uk
                        <http://cress.soc.surrey.ac.uk/>