httpd-users mailing list archives

From "Carroll, D (Daniel)" <Daniel.Carr...@rabobank.com>
Subject RE: [users@httpd] SUPERUSER RIGHTS
Date Wed, 28 Jul 2004 06:26:27 GMT
> Well i used posix_kill under PHP but this works on if the
> owner of the daemon and APACHE is same. how can i make the
> APACHE to run as root or is there any other way to do so.

The way to do this is to set up a cron job to restart apache.
Have your PHP script create a txt file in a known location.  Then have a
cron job running (as root) once every 5 minutes or so, checking to see
if the text file exists.   When the text file exists, restart apache,
and delete the text file.

It may not be the most secure of methods, but I guess it depends how
anal you are about security.  It works ok though.

This email (including any attachments to it) is confidential, legally privileged, subject
to copyright and is sent for the personal attention of the intended recipient only. If you
have received this email in error, please advise us immediately and delete it. You are notified
that disclosing, copying, distributing or taking any action in reliance on the contents of
this information is strictly prohibited. Although we have taken reasonable precautions to
ensure no viruses are present in this email, we cannot accept responsibility for any loss
or damage arising from the viruses in this email or attachments. We exclude any liability
for the content of this email, or for the consequences of any actions taken on the basis of
the information provided in this email or its attachments, unless that information is subsequently
confirmed in writing. If this email contains an offer, that should be considered as an invitation
to treat.