httpd-users mailing list archives

From cnel...@nycap.rr.com
Subject Re: RE: [users@httpd] Clean shutdown of httpd
Date Tue, 06 Jul 2004 16:46:45 GMT
> > When I shut down httpd, any browsers pointed at it remain
> > frozen on the last page they displayed.  Is there any way to
> > get httpd to serve out an "I'm going away" page so that the
> > user gets a nice notification that something happened instead
> > of the browser just seeming to go kerflewy?
>
> Read up a bit on how the web works:
> http://www.garshol.priv.no/download/text/http-tut.html

I've got an MS in Computer Science.  I think I'm fine.  I was looking for some Apache httpd
trick or something that wasn't obvious to me.

> Basically, your browser is not "frozen" - it's not like a TV set that
> was tuned to the website, it's more like a newspaper you had delivered
> to your house. A newspaper on your kitchen table doesn't vanish if the
> newspaper firm closes down, does it?

I know that's how it _works_ but I think that users _perceive_ it more like the TV station.
 When the signals goes away, I want at least snow so I can tell that something changed.

> What went kerflewey, BTW? Did you actually get an error? ...

No, from the user's standpoint, the "system" stopped working.  He/she was looking at data
and it stopped updating (some of my screens use http-equiv to auto-refresh) or the links all
went dead.