httpd-users mailing list archives

From karjala_li...@karjala.org
Subject [users@httpd] Is it impossible to create a reverse caching proxy with Apache 1?
Date Wed, 14 Jul 2004 17:35:49 GMT
I've got two installations of Apache running on the same machine (Debian
stable), one serves as a reverse proxy for the website which is held by
the second apache server (hereafter named "content" server).

I've set up the Caching directives on the "proxy" apache as described in
Apache's manual, however it doesn't cache:

    CacheRoot "/home/www/site1/apache-cache"
    CacheSize 10000
    CacheGcInterval 1.5
    CacheMaxExpire 0
    CacheLastModifiedFactor 0
    CacheDefaultExpire 0

The CacheRoot directory is read/writable by www-data, Apache's user
account, so no problem there.

The requested pages (which aren't cached, but should be) are returned
with an ETag field in the HTTP header and a
Cache-Control: public, must-revalidate, mag-age=0
 in the HTTP header as well.

Cookies (set in HTTP headers which are generated by the "content"
server) are used throughout the site.

mod_gzip is used in the proxy server to compress all the HTML pages.

But it doesn't cache.

What am I doing wrong?

- Alexander