httpd-users mailing list archives

From Tomasz Chmielewski <man...@interia.pl>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] mod_proxy - apache as a transparent forward proxy (for LAN users)
Date Thu, 01 Jul 2004 10:59:12 GMT
Tomasz Chmielewski wrote:
> Nick Kew wrote:
>
>> On Thu, 1 Jul 2004, Tomasz Chmielewski wrote:
>>

>>> yes, that's why I changed the topic and the message a bit, hoping
>>> someone has already solved such problem (how to make apache work as a
>>> transparent proxy (in forward proxy mode) - so that LAN users wouldn't
>>> have to alter their browsers' settings in order to use proxy).
>>

>> That doesn't make sense.  If your users don't configure their browsers
>> to use a proxy, then the proxy will never see their traffic.  Forcing
>> traffic to route through your proxy is a networking issue, nothing to
>> do with Apache or Squid.

If I just redirect all port 80 requests (google.com:80) to proxy:3128
(or make it proxy:80), the client would normally see our server's webpages.

To this point it's networking issue.

But after that it's proxy issue:

That's why proxy need to know, if requests will be "transparent" (and
hence these directives in Squid I mentioned in a previous post).

And finally my question: is Apache able to operate in "transparent" mode?

-- T.