httpd-users mailing list archives

From "Gary Smith" <g...@primeexalia.com>
Subject RE: [users@httpd] How to spawn a job from a CGI
Date Thu, 22 Jul 2004 23:35:10 GMT
I don't believe that it what you are trying to do will work.  I know it will on *nix systems
but on WinTel, I think your out of luck.

I could be wrong though.

________________________________

From: Mario Stipcevic [mailto:stipcevi@irb.hr]
Sent: Thu 7/22/2004 7:21 AM
To: users@httpd.apache.org
Subject: [users@httpd] How to spawn a job from a CGI

Dear,

I have stuck with a problem that only occurs in Win2000NT (and perhaps
Xp). I am using apache 1.3.6 . I am trying to execute from within a
cgi-bin a job that will continue to execute in background. I know of a
strange trick: system("myjob < /dev/null > out_file 2>&1 &");
it does the job under Linux, Win98 and WinMe, BUT it does not under
Win2000. I have a feeling (not sure) that this thing worked long time ago.
But I am constantly updating Win2000 using the Windows Update feature.
Perhaps this procedure finally created a problem (?)

Could someone please help ? Is there a way to start a program in bckgnd
from within a cgi under Win2000 ?

 Thanks !

dr. Mario Stipcevic
Experimental physics division