httpd-users mailing list archives

From InHisGrip <servie_pla...@yahoo.com>
Subject [users@httpd] Testing Apache after a Successful Compile
Date Sun, 25 Jul 2004 01:09:41 GMT

Hi Scot or anyone who will be willing to lend a
helping hand.

I have an apache 2.0.47 from a Fedora 1 machine which
works fine. I am interested in compiling apache from
source tarball and successfully run it.

I downloaded httpd-2.0.50-tar.gz and please refer to
the syntax in sequence upon compile:

1. Downloaded the httpd-2.0.50.tar.gz at the
apache.org site.
2. Moved the tarball into a convenient location,
/usr/local/src
3. Issued the following commands from /usr/local/src:

# tar -vzxf httpd-2.0.50.tar.gz
# cd httpd-2.0.50
# ./configure --prefix=/usr/local/apache
# make
# make install
no errors displayed.... so I proceed below:
# /usr/local/apache/bin/apachectl start
# cd /usr/local/src/httpd-2.0.50
# cp httpd /etc/init.d
overwrite httpd? y
# service httpd restart
# reboot

4. Now before doing this, apache was working fine. But
after I have copied /usr/local/src/httpd-2.0.50/httpd
/etc/init.d things started to play up? I was looking
for a httpd.conf file from where I extracted and
compiled the tarball but couldn't find it. So I went
on in copying the httpd file anyways to its new
location. I think this is what messed up everything.

I also tried making an executable file in
/etc/rc.d/rc.httpd

#!/bin/bash

/usr/local/apache/bin/apachectl start

but to no avail. I also tried modifying
/etc/rc.d/rc.local and added the startup command but
likewise unsuccessful.

Do you guys have any idea what I may have missed out?
I am totally lost here. Nowhere to go from here on.

Thanks a lot and hope to hear from anyone who may have
the solution to my problem.

Again, thanks in advance.

InHisGrip,
Servie