httpd-users mailing list archives

From David Blomstrom <david_blomst...@yahoo.com>
Subject [users@httpd] Password Protected Pages
Date Wed, 21 Jul 2004 18:23:54 GMT
I want to learn how to make password-protected pages,
so I asked "How do I get started?" on another forum. I
assumed I'd be using a PHP solution, since I'm
studying PHP.

But someone told me the best solution is Apache,
though I don't understand exactly why. Can anyone on
this list any of the following questions?:

1. Can you indeed use Apache to make
password-protected pages?

2. If so, what advantages would an Apache solution
have over a PHP solution?

3. Can you refer me to a tutorial that illustrates how
to make Apache password-protected pages?

I should also mention "sessions." I guess this
generally goes hand in hand with passwords, but I
wasn't sure if there are any differences. Anyway,
sessions is a term I want to understand better in the
broader context of password-protected pages.

Thanks!