httpd-users mailing list archives

From InHisGrip <servie_pla...@yahoo.com>
Subject [users@httpd] Apache on a Non-Standard Port - follow-up question.
Date Mon, 19 Jul 2004 23:45:04 GMT
Hi group,

I have configured my apache manually and specified
port 8080 instead of port 80 on the httpd.conf file.
So my main is www.my-site.com:8080. I have also
enabled port forwarding on my router and specified
port 8080 for web connection.

The follow-up question is, the main site is accessible
from the Internet e.g. http://www.my-site.com:8080.
Now, if I try and access this site from outside my
small home network, e.g. http://www.my-site.com, I get
a server busy reply.

The question is if it would be possible for others to
access my site, by just typing http://www.my-site.com?
The apache server is working and could be accessed
readily, however, I am just curious if it would be
possible or is there a work around this limitation?
Sometimes, people tend not to include the port number
8080 suffix after the domain name which could not get
resolved.

As suggested by Jeetu, he mentioned about doing a
proxy pass. Is this also included in one of the
directives in the httpd.conf file? How do I proxypass
my main wwww.my-site.com:8080 so that everytime others
type in www.my-site.com, they could connect?

Sorry folks, if I may have asked this question the
second time around, but I am no linux nor apache
expert like most of you guys and have no idea where to
look for the solution. Your inputs could make a big
difference in this family oriented project of mine.

Thanks very much Jeetu on your helpful tips. Hope to
hear from you guys soon.

Servie

--- Jeetendra Mirchandani <jeetu@cse.iitb.ac.in>