httpd-users mailing list archives

From Jim Maul <jm...@elih.org>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] Httpd question
Date Fri, 09 Jul 2004 20:37:00 GMT
Quoting Bijoy Thomas <bijoyjth@gwu.edu>:

> Hi,
>
>   I just downloaded and compiled Apache. I have a question. Is there
> any difference between running the commands 'httpd' and 'apachectl
> start' to start Apache?

In short, yes there is a difference.  However im not entirely sure what the
differences are.  the apachectl script does a lot more than just start httpd.
It sets env variables and does some error checking.  Im not sure if all of it
is necessary but i'd definitely call apachectl instead of httpd directly.

Perhaps someone with more apache knowledge can provide a more accurate answer.

Jim