httpd-users mailing list archives

From "Pravin Hegde" <pra...@akuate.com>
Subject [users@httpd] Caching / expiring midi files
Date Thu, 15 Jul 2004 18:50:17 GMT
Hi,

I serve a few midi files to the users via <embed> tag at certain events occuring so
that they playback on the users machine. I am interested in getting the midi files downloaded
once cached for certain duration like a week or so as I am serving mid to high number of concurrent
users.

I tried the following declarations in apache httpd conf
AddType audio/midi .mid .midi
ExpiresActive On
ExpiresByType audio/midi "access plus 7 days"

I also have the mod_expires enabled on my apache installation

However this does not seem to cache the file on users browsers (MSIE mostly).

I am looking forward to hearing how this could be achieved in any manner.
1. Are any additional directives required for expires directive?
2. Does there any exist any other way of achieving this.

Best regards,

Pravin Hegde
pravin@akuate.com