httpd-users mailing list archives

From "Robert Andersson" <rob...@profundis.nu>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] Win32 compiler
Date Tue, 20 Jul 2004 09:10:46 GMT
Wesley Troy Scott wrote:
> Why is Visual C++ 6 the recommended compiler for Apache on Windows?

Actually, unlike most other crap from Microsoft, MSVC++ is a pretty good and
well-done tool; the best Microsoft has done in my opinion. The reason is
likely that MSVC++ (6) is the most common compiler used by Windows people.

> Since newer versions of Visual Studio exist, could one successfully
> compile Apache with one of them?

I believe so, since newer versions should compile, or be able to convert,
projects generated from previous versions. It would be if Apache relied on
some quirks in version 6, that has been fixed in later versions, but I'm not
aware of any.

Personally, I use MSVC++ 6 when compiling Apache on Windows. I don't own, or
plan to own, a newer version.

Regards,
Robert Andersson