httpd-users mailing list archives

From "Scot L. Harris" <we...@cfl.rr.com>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] Checking if Apache Compile is Successful
Date Thu, 22 Jul 2004 04:10:46 GMT

---------------------------^^ need a / here

> >From here on, I am lost. I edited the httpd.conf file
> added all information about the site from listen
> directive to VirtualHost directives, did try to issue
> the command, # service httpd restart and nothing
> happened. Is this because this has been a new compile,
> I still need to add this as a service on xinetd?
>
> Have I missed out something here? Please kindly
> advice.

Unless you installed a startup script in /etc/init.d for httpd the
service httpd restart will not do anything.

I don't remember if the tarball comes with a startup script, check in
the directory where you untared the package.  There might be one there.
If not grab one from a running fedora system and modify it to run the
commands from the right directories, copy it to /etc/init.d and the run

chkconfig --add httpd
service httpd start

That will take care of setting up the symbolic links for the startup
script in the various /etc/rc#.d directories and httpd will be restarted
when you reboot the system.

--
Scot L. Harris
webid@cfl.rr.com