httpd-users mailing list archives

From Joshua Slive <jsl...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] Re: Proxypass of FTP via apache 2 - is it possible?
Date Tue, 29 Jun 2004 16:54:46 GMT
On Wed, 30 Jun 2004 01:56:38 +1000 (EST), Tony at Bluehaze
<tonys@bluehaze.com.au> wrote:

>    Aha - the penny is starting to fall.  So with proxy_ftp, I shouldn't
> have apache *listening* on port 21 at all - I need a std virt host
> container called (eg) ftp.blah which then proxies thru to the FTP machine?

Right.

> Sorry to keep pounding on this - but what proxy lines would u use to make
> that happen?  The doco in this area is still pretty sparse.  Would we use
> proxypass or what?

NameVirtualHost *:80

<VirtualHost *:80>
ServerName ftp.proxy.example.com
ProxyPass / ftp://internal.example.com/
</VirtualHost>

(ProxyPassReverse is irrelevant since there will be no HTTP headers to rewrite.)

Then the client makes requests like http://ftp.proxy.example.com/dir/file

Note that you'll need a very recent version of apache, since there
were some fixes in this area.  And also, as I mentioned, I've never
done this myself so I can't guarentee that it works.  But the idea
sounds right.

Joshua.