httpd-users mailing list archives

From Michael Zedeler <mich...@zedeler.dk>
Subject [users@httpd] Re: Apache 1.3.29 on Panther (MacOS X 10.3)
Date Tue, 29 Jun 2004 23:47:55 GMT
Michael Zedeler wrote:

> Joshua Slive wrote:
>
>> On Tue, 29 Jun 2004 22:55:49 +0200, Michael Zedeler
>> <michael@zedeler.dk> wrote:
>>
>>> When I try using an URL longer than approximately 500 chars, Apache just
>>> closes the connection immediately without serving the request or even
>>> giving an error response. The logs are also untouched.
>>

>> Are you sure you are even reaching apache?  Some Mac OSX boxes have an
>> apple-supplied proxy sitting in front of apache.
>
> That sounds *really* interresting.
>
> You seem to have the clue that I was looking for. Apache doesn't seem to
> listen to port 80, but port 9010 and 16080. It seems that natd is
> handling port 80.
>
> Can anybody confirm this?

I have looked a little closer and found that this problem is caused by
the program "webperfcache", which looks a lot like a specialized Apache
configured as reverse proxy. The fact that this piece of software dies
when you try to use an URL longer than around 500 chars makes it
completely useless. I'll report the error to Apple.

Thanks!

Regards,

Michael.