httpd-users mailing list archives

From "Vasiliy Boulytchev" <vasi...@boulytcheva.com>
Subject RE: [users@httpd] Server Load Issue
Date Wed, 16 Jun 2004 16:56:22 GMT

During the slowdown, what does /server-status/ show?

Vasiliy Boulytchev
Colorado Information Technologies, Inc.
http://www.coinfotech.com

-----Original Message-----
From: Stuart Haas [mailto:shaas@vibespin.com]
Sent: Wednesday, June 16, 2004 10:50 AM
To: users@httpd.apache.org
Subject: [users@httpd] Server Load Issue

Hi,

We are having a strange problem with Apache where the server load skyrockets
and leaves our site very unresponsive.  The load average on the server
typically is well under 0.5.  Once a threshold is reached (I can't pin this
down exactly, but we usually reach it several times over our busy hours),
the load immediately jumps to around 150 and more.
After a while, every thing returns to normal.  I would expect that the
server load would increase linearly as traffic increases, but that is
not the case.   Out site is not that busy as we serve about 30,000 pages
a day.

We are running apache 2.0.46 (Redhat's) on Redhat Enterprise Linux 3.
The hardware is  2x 3.06Ghz Xeon with 4GB RAM, so I don't believe the box is
underpowered.  Our content management system is PHP based and in an effort
to solve this issue went to the Zend performance suite, but this has not had
any effect on this problem.  There are no error messages in any of the logs.

How would we go about troubleshooting this issue?

Stuart