httpd-users mailing list archives

From "Vasiliy Boulytchev" <vasi...@boulytcheva.com>
Subject RE: [users@httpd] Moving apache from one host to another
Date Mon, 14 Jun 2004 20:59:17 GMT
Try aliasing the old domain name to the new vhost.  Does the problem go
away?

Vasiliy Boulytchev
Colorado Information Technologies, Inc.
http://www.coinfotech.com <http://www.coinfotech.com/>

  _____

From: Poythress, Lynn [mailto:apoythre@skymail.csus.edu]
Sent: Monday, June 14, 2004 2:50 PM
To: users@httpd.apache.org
Subject: [users@httpd] Moving apache from one host to another

Hello,

We are currently running Apache 1.3.19 on an HP-UX 11.00 machine. I'm new at
creating web servers, so please bear with me!

I have moved it to a new server - renaming the ServerName variable (from
my.oldhost.name.edu to my.host.name.edu) in the httpd.conf file.

I've also added port 5556 to the new /etc/services file as the apache port.
I can successfully start and stop apache - without any errors.

However, when I try to access the server via the browser I run into
problems.

If I use IE I get an error that says 'Cannot find server or DNS error'.

If I use Netscape I just get an error pop-up box that says the connection
was refused.

I'm just typing in the hostname on the browser - ie.
<http://my.host.name.edu> http://my.host.name.edu.  If I type
<http://my.host.name.edu:5556> http://my.host.name.edu:5556 I get the same
errors.

Do I need to re-run the configure, make and make install steps?  The doc.
makes it sound like I can change httpd.conf without re-doing any of that.

Any ideas as to what I can do would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Lynn Poythress

California State University, Sacramento