httpd-users mailing list archives

From "Vasiliy Boulytchev" <vasi...@boulytcheva.com>
Subject RE: [users@httpd] problem with distant vs. local acces with apache 2
Date Mon, 14 Jun 2004 15:22:45 GMT

 Vasiliy Boulytchev wrote:
> My first guess with Md 10.0 is msec :)

I guess this was a joke but sorry, my english/computer knowledge is not good
enough to understand this one... :-(

No joke,  with Mandrake 10.0 you get msec.  Mandrake Security.  Adds neat
and easy lock downs to your system.

What does your firewall rules say?   Iptables -L

Vasiliy Boulytchev
Colorado Information Technologies, Inc.
http://www.coinfotech.com

-----Original Message-----
From: irisson jean-olivier [mailto:jo.irisson@noos.fr]
Sent: Saturday, June 12, 2004 7:44 AM
To: users@httpd.apache.org
Subject: Re: [users@httpd] problem with distant vs. local acces with apache
2

Thank you for all the answers I got. nevertheless, the server is still not
working properly. here are my reactions to your suggestions. hope that
helps...

Vasiliy Boulytchev wrote:
> My first guess with Md 10.0 is msec :)

I guess this was a joke but sorry, my english/computer knowledge is not good
enough to understand this one... :-(

> Check the following files:
> /etc/hosts.allow
> smtp : ALL : allow
> httpd : ALL : allow
> sshd: All: allow
> mysqld: ALL: allow
> in.ftpd : ALL : allow

I modified my /etc/hosts.allow and add these lines. reboot. nothing changed.
:(

> On you LAN, bring up any shell, and give this command
>    telnet web.ip.whatever.it.is 80
>     after you get into the box (if you do), give
>    get/
>    do you get HTTPBLAH?  If yes, lookat your logs/error.log on the server.

I don't really have a LAN as I'm setting this on my personnal computer which
is not part of a network (just connected to the internet).
nevertheless I tried to telnet my machine on port 80 from a distant one and
I can't get into it.  :( again

Michael wrote:
 > Are you typing in the IP of the machine in order to access the page at a
> distance, such as http://xx.xx.xx.xx/index.html?  Is it a static IP  >
being used?

I'm typing exactly this. my IP is kind of static (my provider changes it
from time to time but something like every two months).

Zoe Ballz wrote:
 > Oops I just remembered - I actually set the servername to  >
notavailable.com about a week ago, yet it still works. All my point is  >
that perhaps you are better setting it to something rather than nothing.

I tried this before my first post and it was ineffective. anyway, by default
when apache is not provided with a ServerName, it uses the ip adress so I
guess it works the same.

 > It should be your EXTERNAL IP address if you are running through a  >
router - not the local network IP address.

I don't think I'm running behind a router (I've a direct cable connection to
the internet but I don't really know what's exactly behind this cable plug
of mine ;-) ). Anyway, I can ping this IP and access to it via SSH of FTP
from a distant computer so I guess I should be an external address.

 > To see it work (if you want a laff) and are not easily  > offended
http://82.34.88.179 !!!!!!!!!!

I can't see anything at this address. My browser keeps trying to connect to
the IP without success (exactly as the distant instance of lynx I'm running
to try to view the pages I'm serving...). May be you have the same problem
that me!!

 > The virtual domains are hidden behind the page !!

????

 > Another thought - on your network card - if you run though a router,  >
have you got the gateway set to the routers address? Wrong gateway  >
settings lead to all sorts of interests effects!

I don't think I'm behind a router so this should be OK.

too bad all this doesn't work... any new ideas giving what I'm sending you?
here is a summary of my situation:
- linux Mandrake 10 box serving pages with apache 2.0.48 through a basic
cable connection (should be the same as an ADSL I guess). all apache default
config.
- a browser opened on this machine displays any index.html page in the
DocumentRoot at the adresses http://localhost/ and http://##.###.###.###/
where the numbers are my static IP.
- I ssh to a distant machine of one of my friends and lauch:
 > lynx http://##.###.###.###/
nothing happens (lynx keeps trying to connect to my IP without success) and
finally lynx quits (delay overpassed).
On this same machine:
answers:
but