httpd-users mailing list archives

From Joshua Slive <jos...@slive.ca>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] .htaccess causes intermittent errors with Windows XP Web Folders
Date Tue, 01 Jun 2004 17:53:47 GMT

On Tue, 1 Jun 2004, Matthew Denner wrote:
> I hope I'm not being stupid with this but I think I've discovered a problem
> in Windows XP WebFolders when connecting to an Apache2 server and I'd like
> someone more knowledgeable to confirm / deny this.

> I then create a .htaccess file in the public_html folder for a user with the
> <Limit> and <LimitExcept> directives as first specified, with 'Allw from

> 192.168.0.5' ('Dav On' remains in the main configuration file).
>
> With this setup I can open the folder fine (I see all the files, including
> .htaccess) but in my error_log on the server I see:
>
> [Tue Jun 01 10:55:24 2004] [error] [client 192.168.0.5] client denied by
> server configuration: /home/matt/public_html/.htaccess
>
> Because the standard Apache2 configuration limits access to .htaccess files,
> not that I need to tell you that!

> I'm assuming that, because '.htaccess' is limited, that somehow the Windows
> XP WebFolder client gets confused?

You should start by looking at the exact sequence of requests that the
client is making (as seen in the error log).  This should give a better
idea about what is going on.

It is certainly possible that WebFolders can't deal with a directory that
has protected files in it.  I haven't tried this myself.  Probably mod_dav
should not even be revealing the presence of a file if it is protected.
But we are just guessing until we see more details about what the client
is doing.

Joshua.