httpd-users mailing list archives

From Joshua Slive <jos...@slive.ca>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] apache 2.0 accesslog timestamp differs from apache 1.3
Date Sun, 20 Jun 2004 03:10:10 GMT

On Sun, 20 Jun 2004, Alois Treindl wrote:
> it seems that Apache 2.0 put as time %t in the logfile the time when a
> request was received and delivery began.
>
> Apache 1.3 did put in the time when a request was completed.

> Is there a way to get the behaviour of apache 1.3 back, when the
> timestamps were always of the time of completion of the request?

Yes.  Use the define I_INSIST_ON_EXTRA_CYCLES_FOR_CLF_COMPLIANCE when
compiling apache.

But you might be interested in reading this comment in the source, which
explains why the default has changed:
    /* ###  I think getting the time again at the end of the request
     * just for logging is dumb.  i know it's "required" for CLF.
     * folks writing log parsing tools don't realise that out of order
     * times have always been possible (consider what happens if one
     * process calculates the time to log, but then there's a context
     * switch before it writes and before that process is run again the
     * log rotation occurs) and they should just fix their tools rather
     * than force the server to pay extra cpu cycles.  if you've got
     * a problem with this, you can set the define.  -djg
     */

See:
http://cvs.apache.org/viewcvs.cgi/httpd-2.0/modules/loggers/mod_log_config.c?view=markup

Joshua.