httpd-users mailing list archives

From Nick Kew <n...@webthing.com>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] load balancing wih sticky session ??
Date Wed, 30 Jun 2004 13:32:18 GMT
On Tue, 29 Jun 2004, Michael Gale wrote:

> So I was thinking if I could have apache handle the HTTPS request and
> then proxy HTTP traffic to one of the internal application servers that
> would be great. But the apache box would have to maintain the session,
> so if the first request did not have a session, establish one, and send
> to a application server. If the request went to app server 1 - then all
> future request for this session would have to hit app server 1.

Choose your mechanism!  If you're using cookies, for example, you
can just store a code designating a backend in there.  If you're working
with session variables in your URLs, it's essentially similar, but a
little more work.

Or you could store session info on the proxy.  That's a little more work.

> Now I found some documentation on mod_perl and mod_session with it
> appears that apache will do the first two parts .. but would not forward
> the remaining http request for the session to the proper app server.

How does it matter what mechanism you use?

--
Nick Kew